The up to 60,000 Bonus Avios welcome bonus on the RBC British Airways Visa Infinite Card has been extended. The offer was set to end on September 30 but now you have until February 28, 2023 to earn the best ever welcome bonus seen on this card.
This 60,000 bonus Avios offer is structured as follows:
- Step 1: Receive 15,000 Avios as welcome bonus upon approval
- Step 2: 35,000 bonus Avios when you spend $6,000 CAD in the first 3 months
- Step 3: Another 10,000 bonus Avios after your first yearˆ
The card has a niche market, and that is for the frequent or semi-frequent British Airways flyer, as the card is more sought after for some of the benefits provided rather than the earn and burn profile.
Outside of the welcome bonus here is what the RBC British Airways Visa Infinite Card offers:
- Collect 1 Avios for every $1 CAD spent on qualifying net purchases*
- Collect double Avios when you shop with British Airways and British Airways Holidays*
- Earn a Companion Award eVoucher when you spend $30,000 CAD or more in any calendar year˜
- 10% off British Airways flights when you book and pay with your card∞
- Redeemfor flights and more – you can spend your Avios on all of the travel things you love, including cabin upgrades with British Airways or reward flights with British Airways, and any of the oneworld partner airlines to almost 1,000 destinations worldwide**
- Comprehensive Insurances including 31–day out of country/province emergency medical insurance1, flight delay insurance2, hotel burglary3 and rental car4 insurance. Even eligible purchases you make with the card are protected3.
- Luxury Visa Infinite benefits5 such as first in line service for exclusive events and hotel and dining exclusives via www.visainfinite.ca
- Complimentary 24/7 Concierge Service5
- Link your RBC card with a Petro-Points membership to instantly save 3₵ per litre on fuel at Petro-Canada stations and earn 20% more Petro-Points points
- Get $0 delivery fees for 12 months from DoorDash
- Link your RBC British Airways Visa Infinite card with a Rexall Be Well account and get 50 Be Well points for every $1 spent on eligible products at Rexall. Redeem Be Well points faster for savings in store on eligible purchases where 25,000 Be Well points = $10
If we start at the top you see the earn rates – 1 Avios per dollar and 2 per dollar for British Airways purchases. If you are only into the earn and burn aspect of the British Airways Executive Club program, you are better off with other cards like Amex’s Cobalt Card or Platinum Card (their points transfer 1:1 to British Airways, and you can earn up to 5x points per
dollar spent) or the HSBC World Elite Mastercard, whose base earn rate translates to 1.2 Avios per dollar. That’s why we say this card fits a niche market – most people aren’t getting it for the earn rates. They are getting it for what comes next.
The top features of this card come from two of the travel benefits provided, and it is these benefits that most people get this card for.
10% off British Airways flights
The 10% off British Airways flights is the primary benefit that provides the most value. The discount is off the total cost of the fare (including taxes, fees, and carrier charges) for travel in any cabin from economy (World Traveler) to premium economy (World Traveler Plus) for business (Club World) or even First Class. So if you buy several British Airways tickets a year, that 10% off can provide big savings – especially if it is for business or first class. Think about a business class flight between Toronto and London that is nearly $6,000 (as shown below). Ten percent of that is almost $600, which more than pays for the $165 annual fee on this card.
Companion Award Voucher
The second feature is the annual Companion Award eVoucher. This was one of the first cards in Canada to offer a Companion Voucher, which you receive when you spend $30,000 or more on the card in any calendar year. This voucher can be used to save you a lot of Avios as it is used when you make a reward booking. This means you can use the voucher when you
redeem Avios in full or in part (Avios and Cash option) to take a companion along. All you pay are the taxes and fees for the companion fare.
Wrapping it up
Add in insurance benefits, concierge service, and RBC’s exclusive offers with Petro-Canada, DoorDash, and Rexall, and you have a really good card for the British Airways flyer. So take note, if you are said British Airways flyer and you don’t have this card yet, now is the time to grab it so that you can earn up to 60,000 Avios.
Click here to learn more about and apply for the RBC British Airways Visa Infinite Card
Corresponding legal references and product terms are available on the RBC website, which will be available and agreed upon in the customer onboarding process.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read our disclaimer for more info.