A very popular redemption option for the Aeroplan program just became easier to book. The stopover option, where you can pay 5,000 points to stopover in an extra city on an itinerary outside of Canada and the U.S., has only been bookable by calling into Aeroplan but as of today Air Canada has launched a beta test for the stopover option for online bookings.
To book the stopover online it is a really simple process! Navigate your way to aircanada.com and now you can select the Multi-city/Stopover option when beginning your flight search:
Once you have that radio button check you’ll be able to set your destination and then pick your stopover city and duration in that stopover city:
In this case I chose Toronto to Vienna with a three day stopover in London.
The results came up and they show that a stopover is included:
I then picked the economy class flights with the following results and as you can see when you click on the price breakdown, the 5,000 points for a stopover are included in the points requirement:
And that’s all there is to it! A extremely easy process for booking stopovers online with Air Canada’s Aeroplan program!
Here are some more details provided by Aeroplan:
- Members may book one stopover per direction of travel, including on one-way, round-trip, and open-jaw itineraries, e.g. for round-trip travel between Montreal and Istanbul, a stopover could be added in London on the outbound, and another in Paris on the return
- A stopover city is input as a connecting point between an origin and destination, e.g. travelling one-way from Toronto to Paris departing on October 1st, with a 3 day stopover in Munich
- The minimum stopover duration is 1 day (at least 24 hours between flights), with the ability to extend to a maximum duration of 45 days
- At present, aircanada.com supports up to four flights per direction of travel, which also applies to a direction of travel including a stopover, e.g. traveling one-way between Vancouver and Cape Town with a stopover in Istanbul could not be booked as YVR – YYZ – EWR – IST (stopover) – JNB – CPT via aircanada.com
- For more complex itineraries, members may continue to book stopovers through the Aeroplan Contact Centre subject to a non-refundable CAD30 Contact Centre service fee per passenger
Wrapping it up
Air Canada Aeroplan’s stopover feature is an extremely popular option with the program since it can be utilized on one or round trips flights. And as of today it became easier to book since the process can now be done online.