Despite the serious downturn in travel in Canada and globally due to the COVID-19 pandemic WestJet is going ahead with the opening of their flagship business class in Calgary. The lounge which was officially announced just over a year ago was due to open this past summer but of course due to reasons we are all aware of that was pushed back. Now we know WestJet will officially open that lounge next week on November 2.
Called the WestJet Elevation Lounge, the new flagship space for airline is set to deliver a true business class experience for those entering the lounge.
Working in partnership with The Calgary Airport Authority, the Elevation Lounge will open to the public on November 2, 2020
and is conveniently located at Concourse
B of the Domestic Terminal and is accessible to guests departing from
Concourses A, B and C, as well as Concourse D of the International
Terminal (when accessed from security checkpoint B or C).
Here are some videos of the lounge that have been posted to WestJet’s YouTube channel
With a contemporary feel the lounge is inspired by Canadian landscapes and incorporates a mountain living feel. The food and drink offerings are also locally and Canadian inspired including WestJet’s own new Elevation beer that is brewed locally. The lounge will also feature products from Canmore’s Rocky Moutain Soap Co. and Calgary’s Fratello Coffee Roasters. Space wise there is over 9,300 square feet of room to relax, work and enjoy a quiet space from what one day we hope will be the hustle and bustle of the Calgary airport again. There is a dedicated family area, views of airside operations, showers, relaxing loungers and more.
Here are the highlights:
- Chef-designed and freshly prepared menu that highlights local and seasonal ingredients.
- Signature beverages designed and delivered by dedicated bartenders; a premium
selection of wine; and beer options from Calgary’s own breweries, including WestJet’s Elevation beer on tap by The Dandy Brewing Company, and an XPA by Annex Ale
Project. All served from a vibrant and social bar in the heart of the lounge.
- Dedicated focus spaces to unplug or plug-in for business and leisure featuring WiFi, free printing and
reservable meeting space with digital amenities.
- Refreshing spaces including reservable and private shower facilities.
- WestJet Priority Service Agents to assist with travel plans,
share expertise on local information and provide the caring service WestJetters are known for.
- Exclusive artwork by Calgary-based artist Mandy Stobo featuring an immersive augmented reality experience.
- Playful interpretations of WestJet’s home province weaved throughout the space including a statement
graphic of Canmore’s Three Sisters mountain peaks above the bar.
- Curated Canadian products from local companies such as Rocky Mountain Soap Company and Calgary’s own Fratello Coffee Roasters.
- Dedicated family space with activities for kids to interact with and explore.
Guests will experience many of WestJet’s enhanced health, safety and
sanitization measures that have been implemented to ensure guest safety
throughout their journey through the airline’s Safety Above All program. The Elevation Lounge features:
- Contactless, self-serve entry.
- Mandatory face masks for guests and staff, except when eating and drinking.
- A thoughtful floor plan with reduced capacity to
ensure physical distancing.
- Ability to order food and beverages directly to table using personal devices.
- An enhanced and continuous cleaning regimen including electrostatic
spraying, plexiglass shields at high interaction areas and hand sanitizers placed in high-touch zones.
This lounge is the next step in WestJet’s evolution from a low cost carrier to a full service airline. From the introduction of a true business class on their Boeing 787 Dreamiliners to true 2×2 seating on their 737s, an expanded elite status program and now this lounge are the big steps this airline has done to transform themselves in a world class airline.
To access the lounge you’ll need to meet one of the following:
- WestJet Rewards Platinum, Gold and Silver members are eligible for complimentary lounge access based on their tier benefits.
- Guests travelling in the Business cabin of our Boeing 787-9 Dreamliners (including connections when a Business fare has been purchased) also enjoy complimentary access to the lounge.
- Priority Pass, LoungeKey, LOUNGE CLUB and Diners Club members may access the lounge using their membership benefits.
- All other guests, including those travelling on other airlines, are
welcome to access the lounge for a fee, payable on lounge entry.
Basically at this point anyone can access the lounge based on the above. Third party lounge membership works and if all else fails you can pay to access the lounge. I would assume when travel returns to pre COVID-19 levels we may see the access rules changed. I also suspect that the lounge is or will become accessible to WestJet partner airline elite members and perhaps those flying business class on those partner airlines.
Learn all about the new WestJet Elevation lounge here.
Recommend reading: Rewards Canada’s Guide to Business Class Lounge Access