Choice Hotels has finally provided an update for their Choice Privileges program
in regards to the COVID-19 Pandemic. Early on they had only chosen to
provide the pausing of the expiration of points until May 31. We now
have an extension of that along with reduced elite requirements, elite
status upgrade and extensions and bonus points for Diamond members:
- Flexible Points Redemption: Pausing the expiration of loyalty points until Dec. 31, 2020, for all members.
- Reduced Elite Status Requirements: Reducing the number of nights members are required to stay in 2020 to qualify for elite status in 2021. They can now achieve:
- Gold status after staying seven nights, as opposed to 10 nights.
- Platinum status after staying 15 nights, as opposed to 20 nights.
- Diamond status after staying 25 nights, as opposed to 40 nights.
- Upgrades and Extensions for Gold and Platinum Members: Upgrading
the status of current Gold and Platinum elite members, effective June 1
– Dec. 31, 2020. Gold members will be upgraded to Platinum and Platinum
members to Diamond.
- Upgraded members who stay at least five nights by Dec. 31, 2020, can maintain this enhanced status through Dec. 31, 2021.
- Upgraded members who stay less than five nights by Dec. 31, 2020,
will revert to their original status, prior to the upgrade, and maintain
it through Dec. 31, 2021.
- Extensions and Bonus Points for Diamond Members: Extending
the status of current Diamond members through Dec. 31, 2021, and
offering a 10% bonus – in addition to their existing 50% bonus – on
points earned through Dec. 31, 2020.
I am a little surprised that is has taken Choice Hotels this long to
provide this package of expanded benefits to their members. Most other
hotel chains have already had similar polices in place since April if
not sooner. Much like their competitors Choice will not be expiring
points until December 31 of this year and very similar to IHG Choice has
reduced elite qualification requirements by up to 30%. The best news in
the new policy is that all current elite members will be upgraded by
one level for the remainder of the year. Gold members will get Platinum
status while Platinum will receive Diamond status. Those members will
get to keep that status for 2021 if they simply complete 5 nights by the
end of the year. If you don’t complete those 5 nights you’ll be
reverted to your original status level for 2021. If you are Diamond
however you get to keep your status right through to December 2021 and
since you can’t have your status boosted any higher Choice if giving you
an extra 10% bonus on the points you earn from stays until the end of
Choice Hotels also stated that their elite status match offer continues so it may be possible that you could try to get a match right now and then be boosted an extra level with today’s announcement.