Capital One is the latest company to be hacked and it affected a lot of Canadians according to
their press release. The security breach affected about 6 million
Canadians and of those approximately 1 million Social Insurance numbers
were comprised. If you are or have been a Capital One cardholder you
will be contacted by Capital One to let you know if you were one of
those who had their data comprised. In the mean time Capital One
recommends doing the following:
We are also encouraging customers to enroll in account alerts to help
them keep track of activity on their accounts. Customers can sign in
to online banking and set up text or email alerts, based on their
We also encourage customers to monitor their credit card accounts
for unusual or suspicious activity that they do not recognize, and to
call the phone number on the back of their Capital One card or on their
statement as soon as possible, if they see unusual activity.
We do not call customers asking for personal information and
customers should be mindful of the possibility of phishing emails and
calls due to this incident. Tips on how to spot fraudulent emails /
messages are on the Capital One website at https://www.capitalone.ca/help/fraud-protection/
Phishing is an attempt to acquire personal information, sometimes to
compromise online banking accounts by posing as a legitimate company
in an electronic communication. These emails are not from Capital One.
If you believe you have received a fraudulent email that claims to be
from Capital One:
- Do not reply to the email.
- Do not click on any of the links embedded in the email.
- Forward the email to email@example.com.
- After forwarding the email to Capital One for investigation, delete it.
- Be sure to monitor your account and call us if you notice any unusual activity.
Posts since our last update:
- A look at how the current TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card sign up offer of up to 25,000 miles can provide huge value!
Back in June TD revised the offer for the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card. The offer provides an awesome welcome…
- Reminder: Increased sign up bonuses for the MBNA Rewards World Elite & Platinum Plus Mastercards
This is a reminder post about the not so well publicized limited time offers for MBNA’s proprietary rewards cards. …
- July 25 Update: Canada’s Top Cash Back Credit Cards for 2019, join EIA Rewards for a chance to win a trip to Zagreb & more!
The big news for today is the release of our Top Cash Back Credit Card rankings for 2019! Check…
IHG Global Sale! Book now and save up to 20% at thousands of IHG® Hotels & Resorts worldwide when you book between now and July 31st.! Full details
Remember to visit Rewards Canada’s Travel Booking site to book travel directly with many of your favourite airlines, hotels and more!
Canadian Bonus Offers
Other Bonus Offers
– Earn up to 1,000 Bonus Miles+Bonus Miles when you stay at Marriott Hotels & Resorts in Europe. More… Book by Aug 31 for stays until Dec 31, 19
Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan
Earn up to 1,500 Bonus Mileage Plan miles when you shop online via the Mileage Plan Shopping portal. More… Until Aug 11, 19
Best Western Rewards
– Double Rewards Points or Airline Miles for stays at the Best Western Hotel Achim Bremen. More… Aug 1 – Dec 31, 19
– Double Rewards Points or Airline Miles for stays at the Best Western Huddersfield Pennine Manor Hotel. More… Until Sep 1, 19
– Double Skywards Miles for stays of 2+ nights at any participating Shangri-La Hotel Worldwide. More… Book by Aug 31 for stays until Mar 31, 20
– Earn up to 18,000 Avios when you subscribe to The Economist. More… Until Sep 30, 19
Le Club AccorHotels
– 300 Bonus Le Club AccorHotels Points for stays at participating Accor Hotels in Austria, Germany or Switzerland. More… Book by Sep 2 for stays Aug 15 – Nov 15, 19
– Earn up to 3,000 Bonus Bonvoy Points for stays at the Sheraton Grand Incheon Hotel. More… Until Aug 24, 19
– 10,000 Bonus Bonvoy Points per stays at the Cotton House Hotel, Autograph Collection Barcelona. More… Until Aug 31, 19
– 10,000 Bonus Bonvoy Points for stays of 3+ nights in a deluxe studio
or 1, 2 or 3 bedroom villa at the Koloa Landing Resort at Poipu,
Autograph Collection More… Until Aug 24, 19
– Double MileagePlus Miles when you convert your Wyndham Rewards points to United MileagePlus miles. More… Until Aug 15, 19
– Earn up to 2,500 Bonus MileagePlus miles when you shop online via the MileagePlus Shopping portal. More… Until Aug 18, 19
World of Hyatt
– 2,000 Bonus World of Hyatt Points for stays at participating Hyatt Hotels Worldwide. More… Targeted for Google Employees but it may work for anyone Aug 1 – Nov 15, 19
Follow Rewards Canada: