PLEASE NOTE: The 60,000 point welcome bonus is no longer available. The current sign up bonus is 50,000 points.
Thanks to news from Marriott we knew this card was coming soon. As of today the Canadian Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card ceases to exist. It is replaced by the Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card. Essentially the same card as its predecessor, it has only one change to make note of and it’s a good one. The welcome bonus is now 60,000 Marriott Bonvoy points up from 50,000 on the SPG card. One of the predictions I made at the start of the year has come true! I was always guessing that the card would be upped to 60K once the Category 8 hotels took effect and here we have it. (And for those asking – I didn’t have knowledge of this change until 4:37pm MT yesterday – so yes it was a good prediction!) We also have published confirmation of the 15 elite night credits that we learned about from the letters we received from American Express Canada in 2018.
This 60,000 point bonus is truly the highlight of the card. It will get you one night in an expensive Category 7 hotel all the way to 12 nights in a Category 1 hotel during an off-peak period!
Or you can choose to convert those points to 40 airlines that Marriott partners with. 60,000 points nets you 20,000 airline miles plus they’ll throw in 5,000 more when you do convert 60,000 points at a time. Technically speaking this is a 25,000 mile welcome bonus for programs like Aeroplan, British Airways Executive Club, Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan and many more!
The main features of the Marriott Bonvoy™ American Express® Card from American Express Canada include:
- Current welcome bonus provides new Cardmembers the opportunity to earn 60,000 Marriott Bonvoy points*
- Earn 5 Marriott Bonvoy points for every $1 in eligible Card purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy properties; 2 points for every $1 in Card purchases everywhere else*
- Receive an Annual Free Night Award each year after your anniversary that can be redeemed at participating Marriott Bonvoy properties worldwide, with a redemption value at or under 35,000 points
- Receive 15 Elite Night Credits each calendar year, helping earn the next level of Elite status in the Marriott Bonvoy program sooner
- Complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Silver Elite status. Plus, the ability to upgrade to Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status when you reach $30,000 in eligible purchases on your Card each year
- Receive complimentary in-room, premium internet access while staying at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels
We see the same increase to the welcome bonus for the Marriott Bonvoy™ Business American Express® Card. This card also comes with a 60,000 Marriott Bonvoy Points welcome bonus and the 15 elite nights credit.
Overall I can say we should all be happy with the refresh on the card as these cards remain as some of the top cards in Canada! For us The Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card will continue to be the number four ranked overall card in Canada and will remain in our wallet! What do you think of the newly refreshed cards?
Here are the details of the two new refreshed Marriott Bonvoy Cards from American Express:
o American Express is not responsible for maintaining or monitoring the accuracy of information on this website. For full details and current product information click the Apply now link.