There’s no denying the fact that some of the best reward cards in Canada are offered by American Express and one or more of them should be in everyone’s wallets. While American Express may be a smaller player in Canada compared to other credit card networks, the list of Amex accepting merchants is constantly growing, especially with small retailers and restaurants.
In fact, last year alone over 70,000 new small business began accepting American Express*.
The breakdown of new small retailers accepting Amex in 2017 in our four largest cities is:
- Toronto: Over 15,500 new small businesses began accepting American Express® Cards *
- Vancouver: Over 7,000 new small businesses began accepting American Express® Cards*
- Calgary: Over 3,800 new small businesses began accepting American Express® Cards*
- Montreal: Over 7,500 new small businesses began accepting American Express® Cards *
American Express is bringing Cardmembers closer to the small businesses they already love and helping them discover new independent businesses in their communities with the Shop Small program.
To encourage you to Shop Small, American Express is running a special offer in four cities where you can earn a $5 statement credit when you spend $5 at a participating small merchant, up to $25 in statement credits. The offer period runs until November 30. Here are the individual registration pages for you to take advantage of this offer:
- Toronto: www.americanexpress.ca/shopsmalltoronto
- Vancouver: www.americanexpress.ca/shopsmallvancouver
- Calgary: www.americanexpress.ca/shopsmallcalgary
- Montreal: www.americanexpress.ca/shopsmallmontreal
This is just one example of the value American Express brings to Cardmembers and small merchants. As the Shop Small program evolves, American Express will continue to connect Cardmembers to support small businesses.
If you want to find small businesses in your neighbourhood that accept American Express visit American Express Maps.
And just to show you how many places do accept the cards, here is an example of the small merchants you will find in Toronto using the map:
This feature was sponsored by Amex Bank of Canada. The write up, views and opinions expressed in this feature, however, are purely those of Rewards Canada.
*Based on internal comparison of American Express small business merchant locations in January 2017 to American Express merchant locations in December 2017.
Talk to us!
Have you ever used Amex’s ShopSmall Map feature? What do you like
about it most? Are there any improvements they can make? Tell us in the
comments section below or join the conversation on Facebook and Twitter!