Thursday, May 23, 2013

May 23 Update: Avianca TACA devaluation (again!), RBC Avion transfer bonus to AA & Aeroplan Avis bonus

Here is what Thursday had in store on Rewards Canada:

News, Tips & Tricks

In the span of one week Avianca TACA is becoming one of the most hated Star Alliance based program. For the second time in the past 7 or so days (and third time in ~6 months) they have made changes to their awards without any notification. Firstly it was the increase in select award tickets (see last week's post) and now they have increased the much coveted 40/60 option where you only needed 40% of the miles for a redemption and purchase the remaining 60% at an amazing 1.275 cents each (which is even better than the 100% buy miles option we see several times a year which could/can then be leveraged for that first 40% of miles required). Now with the increase the cost of those miles if 1.56 cents if you max out at the 40/60 option. It appears that all of the news out there in the online world of the 40/60 option combined with the 100% buy miles bonus has taken its toll on Avianca TACA and we are now seeing the after effects of it. It is well known that all programs makes changes, most not to our liking but many have become good at giving the consumer fair warning but Avianca TACA seems to have missed that boat. I know a few of you may be perturbed now as you probably bought miles during the last 100% bonus and now are going to have to pay more for your 40/60 redemption!

On the other end of the spectrum, more good news for RBC Avion cardholders. Early in the week I mentioned that that BA 50% transfer bonus is coming back in July but RBC never mentioned that there is currently a promo for transferring to American AAdvantage. The bonus is 20% and is good until June 30th. See the details below in the bonus offer section (HT Canadian Kilometers)

Today is the last day to enter week 3 of the FFB8 Contest! For more details and how to enter please visit

Bonus Offers

Aegean Airlines Miles&Bonus
- Double Miles&Bonus Miles for hotel reservations made through the website. More... Book by May 31, 13 for stays until Dec 31, 13

Air Canada Aeroplan
- 250 Bonus Aeroplan Miles when you rent an Intermediate (Group C) or larger vehicle at participating Avis locations in Canada. More... Until Jul 15, 13
- Earn up to 100 Aeroplan Miles with every participating purchase of specially marked Nestlé products. More... Until Jul 31, 13

Air China Phoenix Miles
- Quadruple Phoenix Miles Kilometers for stays of 2 or more nights at 13 participating Jumeirah Hotels Worldwide. More... Until Oct 31, 13
- Earn up to Triple Phoenix Miles Kilometers for stays of 2 or more nights at participating Regent Hotels Worldwide. More... Jun 1 - Aug 31, 13

American AAdvantage
- 20% Bonus AAdvantage Miles when your transfer your RBC Rewards points to American AAdvantage.More... Until Jun 30, 13 Restrictions: Valid for residents of Canada only who are RBC Avion Visa cardholders
- (OFFER EXTENDED) Earn up to 3,000 Bonus AAdvantage Miles on rentals at participating Avis airport locations in the U.S., Canada, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia. More... Until Jun 30, 13

China Eastern Eastern Miles
- Earn up to 5,000 Bonus Eastern Miles Pointson China Eastern flights between San Francisco and Shanghai. More... Until Jun 20, 13

No comments:

Post a Comment