Wow the Starwood sale saga sure is exciting! News broke this weekend that Marriott made a counter offer to Anbang's offer that Starwood accepted last week and this new Marriott offer has now been accepted by Starwood! Now we wait to see if Anbang will coutner the counter offer! (Source Reuters)
Today is the last day to book American AAdvantage award tickets at lower ticket levels for most flight options for Canadians! As we detailed in our post back in November American Airlines announced a big change to the AAdvantage program in 2016 and the award ticket portion kicks in tomorrow. Here some excerpts from our post:
"The good news is that AAdvantage is keeping award charts like United and unlike Delta who no longer publishes award charts as their awards are dynamically priced. The other good news is that we have four months noticed for the effective changes to AAdvantage award flights. Those changes will come to be on March 22, 2016.
Keeping with the good news they are introducing new short haul awards, 7,500 miles one way for flights under 500 miles. This is inline with the new British Airways requirement of 7,500 miles for flights under 600 miles in North America.
Now onto the bad news for us Canucks, they are increasing the amount of miles required for travel between Canada and the U.S. over 500 miles. The current chart has MileSAAver awards at the standard 25,000 miles round trip (12,500 one way) but on March 22 that moves to 30,000 miles or 15,000 one way for Economy Class. Business Class moves to 60,000 round trip or 30,000 one way....
....For Economy Class this is now more than Aeroplan, United and British Airways (in most cases) while in Business this now matches the Aeroplan requirement that kicks in on December 15th.
Some other major changes:
Canada to Europe moves from 50,000 miles each way in business class to 62,500!! This matches Air France KLM Flying Blue's requirement. Economy Class only sees a mild increase of 2,500 miles each way.
Canada to Asia 1 in First Class moves from 62,500 to 85,000 miles while Canada to Asia 2 jumps from 67,500 miles to 112,500 miles each way in first class!!
The move of AA to separate Canada from the typically seen US/Canada category in award charts hurts us up North here more so than those in the lower 48 whose increases are a hard pill to swallow but are less than what us Canadians will feel!"
Air Canada today announced it will offer satellite connectivity on international flights so customers can email, surf the internet and stream entertainment at broadband speeds while flying anywhere in the world. (Source Air Canada)
We were on the Informed Traveler radio show yesterday discussing the AIR MILES expiry topic. You can listen to the piece here. (Don't flame me yet as I have yet to listen to it!) You can read our piece on AIR MILES expiry here. One reader in our comments stands to lose 25,000+ miles later this year. Let's help them out to see where they can use the miles or should they get the Amex Reserve with Onyx status to save their miles!
The CIBC Dividend® Visa Infinite Card is first year free right now and will award you with 4% cash back on all purchases (limited to $5,000 in spend or 180 days) if you apply by March 31! Find out more here.
Posts since our last update:
AIR MILES (Canada)
- 40 Bonus AIR MILES Reward Miles on Budget rentals of 3 or more days at participating Canada and U.S. locations. More... Until May 31, 16
Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan
- 500 Bonus Mileage Plan Miles on rentals of 3 or more consecutive days at participating Avis airport locations in the U.S. and Canada. More... Until Dec 31, 16
- Earn up to 4,000 Bonus LifeMiles when you earn LifeMiles from various non-airline partners. More... Until May 31, 16
Cathay Pacific Asia Miles
- Earn up to Triple Asia Miles for stays at Accor Hotels Worldwide. More... Until May 15, 16
Hawaiian Airlines HawaiianMiles (on FrequentFlyerBonuses.com only)
- 1,000 bonus HawaiianMiles on rentals of 5 or more days at participating Avis airport locations in the U.S. (including Hawaii) and Canada More... Until Sep 30, 16
- 500 Bonus HawaiianMiles on qualifying rentals of 3 or more days at participating Budget airport locations in the U.S. (including Hawaii) and Canada. More... Until Sep 30, 16
- Quadruple HawaiianMiles and save up to 35% on any rental at participating Hertz airport and off airport locations in the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico & Mexico. More... Until Apr 30, 16
- Triple HawaiianMiles on rentals of a compact car or larger vehicle for two days or longer at all worldwide Thrifty Car Rental locations. More... Until Apr 30, 16
- 1,000 Bonus Rewards Points when you stay on Thursday-Sunday nights (Friday or Saturday required at the Turnberry Isle Miami, Autograph Collection. More... Until May 15, 16
- 1,000 Bonus Rewards Points per stay including a Sunday night at the Courtyard Harrisburg West/Mechanicsburg. More... Until May 15, 16
- 1,000 Bonus Rewards Points per stay on Thursday-Sunday nights (Friday or Saturday required) at The Inn at Opryland, A Gaylord Hotel. More... Until May 15, 16
- 3,000 Bonus Rewards Points per stay including any night Monday-Wednesday at the TownePlace Suites Seattle South/Renton. More... Until May 15, 16
- Triple Miles&Smiles Miles for stays at the San Clemente Palace Kempinski Venice More... Apr 1 - May 31, 16
- Double Miles&Smiles Miles for stays at Kempiski Hotels Worldwide.More... Apr 1 - May 31, 16
Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
- Double Flying Club Miles for stays at the Virgin Hotel Chicago. More... Book by Jun 30 for stays Apr 27 - Oct 31, 16
Today's Daily Update is brought to you by:
Follow Rewards Canada: