Today Bill shares with us the details of the recent change in Air Miles Reward Miles accumulation at Shell stations in Canada and tips on how to combat this change to earn more miles on your gas purchases.
Shell recently and quietly changed the Air Miles collection guidelines when filling up with gas. The old earn rate was 1 Air Miles Reward Mile for the first $20.00, then 1 mile for each $30.00 thereafter in the same transaction. As a result, a fill-up of $80.00 would result in an award of 3 Air Miles. That has now changed. The new parameters are with a minimum 15 litre fill, you will receive 1 Air Mile. That's it. 1 Air Mile. It does not matter how much more you spend or how many liters of gas you purchase in the same transaction, you will only get 1 Air Mile. The only way to get more Air Miles is to do multiple transactions (put in 15 litres, stop, complete the transaction, and then put in another 15 litres, stop and complete the transaction. Continue to so this until your tank is full.
I drive a vehicle with a 118 litre tank, so this would mean approximately 7 transactions for 7 Air Miles. However, Shell is currently running a promotion (Offer valid from January 5 - March 1, 2015) where you can obtain 4X your base Air Miles if you purchase Bronze, Silver or Diesel grade fuel and 20X if you purchase Shell V-Power Premium fuel. This promotion, however, requires you to purchase a minimum of 25 litres of gas.
This is where the multiple transactions would be beneficial. Using my vehicle with a 118 litre tank as an example, I would be able to complete 4 transactions of 25 liters. At 4X the base, I would get 20 points. If I were to purchase Premium grade gasoline, at 20X I would get 80 Air Miles. You will have to decide if it is worth it for you to do this to maximize your miles accumulation. The choice is yours, but I would take advantage of this offer while it lasts.
|Screenshot of Bill's accumulation at Shell utilizing his multiple transaction tip!|
This reminds us of the first Air Canada / Aeroplan Star Challenge where tons of people would fill up at Esso with multiple $3 transactions to reach the various bonus tiers!
Looking to earn even more Air Miles? Here is a great way to earn 2,000 of them:
The American Express® AIR MILES®* Platinum Credit Card
• Earn a bonus of 2,000 AIR MILES reward miles when you charge a total of $500 in purchases to your Card within your first three months of Cardmembership
• Enjoy your first year free
• Earn 1 reward mile for every $10 in Card purchases at AIR MILES®* Sponsors
• Earn 1 reward mile for every $10 in Card purchases at other eligible grocery stores, gas stations, and drugstores in Canada
• Plus, earn 1 reward mile for every $15 in Card purchases everywhere else
• Shop at participating AIR MILES Sponsors across Canada with your Card and show your AIR MILES®* Collector Card, and you can earn reward miles twice
• More than 1000 rewards to choose from! Redeem for a wide range of rewards - everything from movie tickets to electronics, travel and more
• American Express is not responsible for maintaining or monitoring the accuracy of information on this website. For full details and current product information click the Apply now link.