Hainan Airlines and Hong Kong Airlines Fortune Wings have brought back their elite status match challenge that we saw in 2016. You will need to complete flights on Hainan Airlines (or any of their subsidiary airlines) or even Alaska Airlines to earn status faster than if you don't take part in the challenge. What is interesting, is that you may not have to hold status with another airline but hold 'status' with a credit card. How that works exactly is unknown, if you have a Platinum, Infinite, World Elite, Signature credit card does that mean your eligible? It does appear that way! Or does it mean airline status you've earned via a credit card? The terms don't clarify this. The Alaska Airlines component is awesome which means you don't even have to set foot in China, you could funnel your Alaska Airlines flights to Fortune Wings for this challenge.
Anyways you'll need to email Fortune Wings stating you want to do the challenge and tell them what level you want to achieve:
Fortune Wings Status Match Challenge - If you currently hold elite status on any other airline or airline alliance, with a platinum or higher elite credit card status on bank, you can participate in the Fortune Wings Club Elite Challenge to earn Fortune Wings Club elite (VIP) status. You will also receive a boutique gift when you complete the challenge! Full details Until Dec 31, 17
The Challenge period
Gold Level Challenge
Silver Level Challenge
12 base segments or 15,000 base points
6 base segments or 9,000 base points
Here are details on how you apply for the challenge:
Terms & Conditions:
1. A member who applies for this Challenge must have a currently valid elite status (silver or equivalent) or higher membership level on other airline/airline alliance/credit card VIP cards.
2. Members cannot start the challenge before the date of application, and the application cannot be cancelled. Members can only apply for a challenge again after the challenge period.
3. Members who have participated in the challenges in 2015 and 2016 and successfully upgraded cannot participate in the challenge this year. The members who successfully upgrade in this challenge cannot participate in it again within two years.
4. The Elite Gold challengers need to confirm whether they are willing to upgrade to the Elite Silver in case of failing the challenge during application. If yes, they will be upgraded to the Elite Silver after the challenge period in case they fail the Elite Gold challenge but are qualified for the Elite Silver challenge. Otherwise, it will be considered as failure by default and members may apply for the challenge again.
5. It is not real-time upgrade after reaching the standard. Members can enjoy their corresponding VIP privileges after the successful upgrade, and meanwhile their original membership level will become void automatically.
6. The validity of gold or silver card elite status earned in the Challenge is from the month the card was issued until the following month of the second year.. Members may keep their elite status if they achieve the qualified mileage requirement within the validity period of the elite card.
7. Elite members who upgrade via the challenge will not enjoy the Seat Upgrade Coupon when level achieved or maintained, and Points Over-draft privilege, that elite members who upgrade normally enjoy.
8. The 50% OFF domestic electronic upgrade coupon will be used only to domestic HU/CN operated flights and is valid for six months from the date it is posted into your account. Please consult hotline950717 for specific usage regulations.
9. Please check your account periodically to ensure you are credited with flights flown. Missing mileage should be claimed promptly as it will be used to determine your qualification to elite status.
10. According to this policy, only members themselves can apply for the challenge, and the recommenders cannot replace members. The materials of recommendation must be provided during the application process, which cannot be submitted afterwards. The recommenders’reward for their recommendation will be issued to them after the successful upgrade of the challengers.