|All photos in this post courtesy of Starwood Hotels|
As my wife approaches the $40,000 spend threshold on her Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express she will soon receive her Category 1-4 free weekend night certificate for doing so. Well light bulb goes off since we did the post a few weeks ago about using your free night certificate from the Marriott Visa at 5 great hotels in Canada, why not do it for SPG as well for those of you who also reach that $40K milestone. This is a great year to explore Canada as we celebrate the 150th birthday of the country and there are so many events and places to check out! Remember access to all National Parks and Monuments is free for 2017!
The Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card comes with a great sign up bonus of 20,000 Starpoints when you spend $500 on the card but it also has a decent offers if you hit marked spend levels within 12 months. The first is SPG Gold Elite status when you hit $30,000 and then if you hit $40,000 you'll get a Category 1-4 Hotel Free Weekend Night Certificate. This certificate can be redeemed for a free weekend (Fri-Sun) night stay at any Starwood Hotels Worldwide that fall under the Category 1 to 4 levels. In Canada you have quite a few choices that you can use the certificate, namely 67 hotels. (21 Category 4, 28 Category 3, and 18 Category 2, there are no Category 1 hotels in Canada)
The Westin Bear Mountain Golf Resort & Spa, Victoria
The Westin Bayshore, Vancouver
The Westin Grand, Vancouver
Sheraton Centre Toronto Hotel
The Westin Harbour Castle, Toronto
The Westin Prince, Toronto
Sheraton on the Falls Hotel
The Westin Ottawa
Le Westin Resort & Spa, Tremblant, Quebec
Hotel St. Paul, Montreal, a Member of Design Hotels
Now you may be asking the question, what about the Marriott takeover of Starwood and the integration of the reward programs. We know from what Marriott and Starwood have told us that the programs won't be combined into a single program until sometime in 2018. That means you have at least 12 months but more than likely closer to 18 months to still utilize this card. So you do have some time still to get it, hit that $40k in spend for your free night and use it up. Not to mention the card has its 20,000 point sign up bonus! That can be used for 2 more free nights at Category 4 hotels or converting to 60,000 Marriott Rewards points!
What hotels have you redeemed your Category 1-4 benefit at in Canada or for that matter anywhere Worldwide? What hotels would you recommend to our readers?
• New Starwood Preferred Guest®* Credit Card from American Express Cardmembers, earn 20,000 bonus Starpoints® after you charge $500 in purchases to your Card in your first three months of Cardmembership.
• Earn 1 Starpoint for every $1 in purchases charged to the Card
• Enjoy a Free Weekend Night Award when you reach $40,000 in purchases each year
• Experience Starwood Gold Preferred Guest status when you reach $30,000 in purchases each year
• Redeem Starpoints for Free Nights with no blackout dates at over 1,200 of the world's most desired hotels in nearly 100 countries
• Use Starpoints for flights on over 150 airlines with no blackout dates with SPG Flights
• Experience once-in-a-lifetime events with SPG Moments
• American Express Invites™ opens the door to great music, theatre, dining, film, fashion and shopping experiences. Be among the first to know, and among the first to go!
· You can use Apple Pay on your eligible device to pay for goods and services at participating American Express contactless merchants
• Annual interest rate 19.99% on purchases and 21.99% on funds advances
• American Express is not responsible for maintaining or monitoring the accuracy of information on this website. For full details and current product information click the Apply now link.
• Conditions apply